According to some of the Skull and Bones developers, the gameplay doesn’t appear to offer more than what Ubisoft has already shown off so far. In a new report released by Kotaku, the folks behind Skull and Bones said they remain skeptical that the game will be the hit Ubisoft needs right now.
The developers, who spoke to Kotaku on condition of anonymity, said that although the development of Skull and Bones cost Ubisoft as much as any other blockbuster, they are skeptical of its success, given that it has nothing to offer beyond what has already been shown. “Despite the survival sim’s many resource-gathering mechanics, they said every single part of the game lacked depth,” the site writes in its report.
Skull and Bones went through a seemingly never-ending development hell, and at one point there was an opinion that the game would eventually be cancelled. Ubisoft surprised everyone when they announced a November 8, 2022 release date for current generation platforms. However, it seems that the company will lose more if it completely abandons the project, rather than releasing it in the form in which it is.
However, Ubisoft’s problems don’t end there. The company is going through a cost-cutting process, resorting to the cancellation of a number of projects, including Splinter Cell VR and Ghost Recon Frontline, the latter of which was touted shortly after its announcement. Worse, rumors of an Assassin’s Creed Rift featuring Bashim of Valhalla were shelved along with the Avatar game. Ubisoft has high hopes for future Assassin’s Creed games, but time will tell if the franchise alone can keep the company afloat or not.